Edit Your Story Like a Professional…
without going broke paying for one
In this step-by-step, DIY editing guide, you’ll learn how to edit your messy first draft into a shiny, polished manuscript that’s ready to send off to agents, editors, and publishers.
Learn how to:
Shape your story
Tighten your scenes
Perfect your prose
And become your own best editor in the process
…for about 100x cheaper than it costs to hire a pro
You'll get your ebook when it's released on October 31, 2019
Advance praise for The Complete Guide to Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
“Bucket’s guide made me realize that editing is actually WAY easier than I thought. I totally recommend her book for anyone who’s feeling overwhelmed or paralyzed by the process.” —Kaylan, Saratoga, FL
“Where have you been all my life?” —Tobin, Indianapolis, IN
“Before I read The Complete Guide to Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, my draft was a mess. I was stressed out and had no idea where to start. I’d read a lot of stuff on the internet, but the advice was scattered and sometimes contradictory. It was such a relief to have a guide that walked me through the editing process beginning to end. Bucket’s writing style is approachable, and she has a unique way of thinking about the editing process that made the whole thing totally doable. Recommended!” —Mika, Albuquerque, NM
In this one-of-a-kind, DIY editing guide, you'll learn how to...
Shape Your Story:
- Revise or eliminate cardboard characters, stiff plots, & melodrama
- Fix plot holes and inconsistencies
- Develop a powerful theme
- Repair problems with your world building
- Decide which point of view is best for your story
- Create profound & dynamic character arcs
- Correct faulty story logic & lopsided plot structures
Strengthen Your Scenes:
- Revise your scene structure so it supports your story & characters
- Learn when to keep, cut, combine, or revise your scenes
- Balance scene & summary within each chapter & paragraph
- Revise unwieldy flashbacks
- Scrutinize your dialogue, action, description, & narrative summary
- Fix fast, slow, or inconsistent pacing
Polish Your Prose:
- Pick & choose the perfect details to make your story shine
- Cut unnecessary words, phrases & descriptions
- Identify & refresh clichés
- Smooth out awkward transitions
- De-clutter overwritten or clunky writing
- Fix broken mechanics
- Trim useless repetition
- Establish credibility with clean, stylish prose
- Hone your own original writer's voice
PLUS tips on how to:
- Slay paralysis & overwhelm
- Demystify the editing process
- Make time & space to work
- Assess your manuscripts strengths & weaknesses
- Organize & prioritize your notes
- Plan your attack
- Recognize the difference between "big" and "little" problems
- Empower yourself to become your own best editor
All THAT for the price of a book?!
Includes everything you need to edit your story from start to finish:
- 400 meaty pages broken into three intuitive sections: Story-level, scene-level, and sentence-level
- Detailed yet easy-to-follow instructions for every step of the editing process
- Recommendations for further reading
- Lots of BONUS MATERIALS: Worksheets! Templates! Checklists!
Meet the Author
You mean you want to know about ME?! Well, okay. My name is Bucket Siler. I’m a published fiction writer. Professional editor. Dispenser-of-writing-wisdom. Blogger extraordinaire. I help fiction writers create gorgeous, powerful, fan-fucking-tastic stories.
I wrote The Complete Guide to Self-Editing for Fiction Writers for you—the writer who would love to have me edit their manuscript, but can’t afford to hire me. While it would be impossible for me to cram all my knowledge about fiction writing and the editing process into a single book, no matter how large, I certainly did my best.
Want more creds? I hold an MFA in Fiction from the Rainier Writing Workshop, and have been a Vermont Studio Center fellow and the recipient of a Fulcrum Fund Award. My work has appeared in Bracken, The Nervous Breakdown, and Storm Cellar, where I won second prize the 2017 Force Majeure Flash Contest. On a personal note, when I’m not writing or sleeping, I like to wander around the desert, drink tea, give unusually long hugs to my friends, and make off-kilter jokes with a straight face. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, I’ve lived in New Mexico since 2006.
What readers are saying...
“Why why why didn’t I have The Complete Guide to Self-Editing for Fiction Writers sooner?! It could’ve saved me months, nay, years of grief.” —Jesse, New York, NY
“I’ve read a lot of writing advice over the years, but this guide finally put things in a way that made sense. I like the way it’s divided into sections. I used to try to tackle everything at once—plot holes, stylistic inconsistencies, weird side characters, crappy dialogue, etc. Needless to say, that method failed, but I didn’t know what else to do. Bucket’s book laid everything out in order and helped me find a revision process that works for me.” —Eva, Sacramento, CA
“Wow—I just—wow. Thank you.” —Marcos, Santa Cruz, CA
Is The Complete Guide to Self-Editing for Fiction Writers right for YOU?
This guide is PERFECT for you if…
- You’ve completed the first draft of your novel or short story… or you plan to soon
- You’d love someone to help you shape your draft into a killer completed product, but you can’t afford to hire a professional editor
- As much as you love your story, something just isn’t coming together the way you'd like
- Your friends, family, or writing group aren't giving you the feedback you need in order to decide how to move forward with your revision
- You’re tired of trying to piece together random blog posts—you need someone who can lay the editing process out for you step-by-step, and all in one place
This guide ISN'T a good fit for you if…
- Your story is flawless and ready for publication
- You hate learning
- You have a ton of money to hire an awesome editor
- You have a six-figure book deal
- You intuitively dislike and distrust me
100% Happiness Guarantee
I want my customers to be happy. If The Complete Guide to Self-Editing for Fiction Writers lets you down, just email me within 30 days and I’ll refund your money, no questions asked.